Monday, January 7, 2013

Christmas, New Year's and Winter Time in Ottawa

It's been a while but I finally managed to get back to my blog after more than a month....
Since then quite some things happened: I finished my finals (by now I already got some grades back and they're pretty good so far), enjoyed tons of snow in Ottawa (including an awesome middle-of-the-night snowball fight), had a lovely Christmas dinner (we all cooked different things; I made 'Rouladen' with red cabbage and potatoes + Apfelstrudel for desert), been to New York City and Boston for a week over New Year's and moved out of my house and into my new room in a house where I'm gonna stay for a month before couchsurfing with some friends and then going to Vancouver. I hated moving out of my house and now not being able to go back there :D it's weird to know that other people are living there now...
The NYC trip was fun but the way there and back with Greyhound was a disaster. NEVER take Greyhound if there is a way to avoid it!!! The first time we got stuck in the middle of NY State for a couple of hours in the middle of the night and had to wait for another bus and on the way back from  Boston to Montreal we didn't have heating for almost 3 hours. Once we got to Montreal at 7-8am we had to find a rideshare to Ottawa which seemed impossible so we decided to buy the expensive bus ticket for Greyhound. We were about to get on the 9am bus when they closed the door cause the bus was full. Then I saw that someone called me on my phone but cause I'm not paying an extra 10 bucks or so for caller ID I dint't know who called but guessed it was one of the 20 people we texted for the rideshare. Fortunately the guy called again and offered us a rideshare for 10am. We managed to get our money back for the bus tickets and got a way cheaper and faster ride back to Ottawa! YAY. Once we got to Ottawa (completely exhausted and cold in -15 °C) we had to get all my stuff from my old neighbors' place to my new room. We've done a lot of walking with suitcases through the snow lately :D
Sasha is staying with me in the room until she starts her journey back home the next weekend which is nice so we get to spend a lot of time together :) She'll be the last goodbye for now. That brings me to all the other goodbyes within the last few weeks. Since I choose to stay longer than anyone else of those who only spent one semester here I had to say goodbye to everyone and watch them leave...Today we had to say bye to Tessie who is now on her way back to Argentina :( Way too many goodbyes lately but I will save up sooooo much money that I can visit all of my Ottawa friends and of course my California friends soon! Scandinavia is next and then South America in 2014.

Classes started again today but I don't have to go to any :D That's kind of nice but I still don't have anything to do for the next month except everything I've been wanting to do and never got around to like reading all the books I brought, starting to learn Spanish online and sending those christmas cards I still have here ;) They will get to Germany eventually.....

Christmas Dinner
Pie anyone??

NYC Times Square

Rockefeller Center with Sasha

Rockefeller Center




Boston
Boston - Bunker Hill
Massachusetts State House

Freezing on the bus from Boston to Montreal

1 comment:

  1. Sounds Amazing!!! So jealous of the trip to New York!!!! :( .... Cant wait to have u back here!! Love uuuuu xxx

    ReplyDelete